Saturday, April 9, 2011

Work in Progress

The Perfect Jacket, so far, is going along great, its just A LOT of steps from start to completion.  I am starting to work on the lining and, I'm taking my time because, I have learned that rushing at the end of a project, for me, almost always guarantees trouble.  I've come too far and, spent too much money, for this garment to turn into a wadder.  So, I'm working at a much slower rate and trying to be more precise with each step.

Next up, I'm going to be making pants.  The other weekend, my husband and I went downtown to the garment district and shopped at The Scholarship Store of FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising).  I had heard they had fabric for $1 a yard there but, I had no idea that it was such good quality fabric -- I'm talking yardage that would normally sell for $30 a yard and up.  What a find!  The only thing you have to be aware of, you need to be very strong or, have someone with you who is.  The yardage comes on rolls that are 72 inches wide and they are all stacked up on top of each other.  If you want the one on the bottom you have to be REALLY STRONG in order to get to it.   Thank goodness, my husband took the rolls out that I wanted like it was nothing.  Its a very small area where this fabric is displayed and sold so, another thing to be aware of is, not hitting someone when you take those rolls of fabric out from underneath each other!    I bought some beautiful medium weight navy blue RPL fabric for pants as well as some heavy weight twill in grey. I believe there's enough to make pants and some carrier bags as well.  While we were in the garment district, I also bought some beautiful Chinese brocade fabric in red that I'm going to make a skirt with.  I'm wondering what kind of blouse I should make to go with it?  Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Well, I guess this is all for now, I need to get back to my sewing machine and, I bet you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment